The Children's Act and the Sexual Offence Act both establish
mandatory reporting obligations to report abuse.

Failure to report is a criminal offence, but more importantly it could leave a child at risk without support and services. 



When to report child abuse and neglect

If you suspect that there was/is abuse or deliberate neglect, it must be reported to one of three authorities: a designated child protection organisation like Badisa Tygerberg, the provincial Department of Social Development or a Police Official via affidavit.

The compulsory reporting obligation applies only to sexual abuse, physical abuse causing injury, and deliberate neglect. However, there are many other circumstances that may leave a child in need of care and protection. In these cases anyone can make a voluntary report.

According to section 150 of the children’s act the following circumstances describe children in need of care and protection. A child who:

  • has been abandoned or orphaned and is without any visible means of support;
  • displays behaviour which cannot be controlled by the parent or care-giver;
  • lives or works on the streets or begs for a living;
  • is addicted to a dependence-producing substance and is without any support to obtain   treatment for such dependency;
  • has been exploited or lives in circumstances that expose the child to exploitation;
  • lives in or is exposed to circumstances which may seriously harm that child's physical, mental   or social well-being;
  • may be at risk if returned to the custody of the parent, guardian or care-giver of the child as there is reason to believe that he or she will live in or be exposed to circumstances which may seriously harm the physical, mental or social well-being of the child;
  • is in a state of physical or mental neglect; or
  • is being maltreated, abused, deliberately neglected or degraded by a parent, a care-giver, a person who has parental responsibilities and rights or a family member of the child or by a person under whose control the child is.

If you find a child in any of these circumstances you can submit an affidavit to report it to a designated child protection organisation or official.




Download and complete Form 22 if you are a professional (e.g. teacher, doctors, etc.)


A community member must submit an affidavit describing the circumstances of a child at risk in need of immediate care and protection.  The reporter is entitled to anonymity and should request it specifically in writing from the designated social worker.  The children’s act provides protection of prosecution when any person acts in the perceived best interest of a child.


Email your completed form or affidavit to Badisa Tygerberg and a social worker will be assigned to do an investigation into the circumstances of the case.

BADISA Tygerberg is only registered to deliver child protection services in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town. This includes: Parow, Parow Valley, Ravensmead, Uitsig, Eureka, Cravenby and Connaught.

If you need to report a case outside of these boundaries please submit your form to your local Child Protection Organisation, Police Official or Social Services Office.